Tartu pottsepp Johann Rehni töökoja (umbes 1684–1708) toodang

Artikli avamiseks täies mahus vajuta paremas veerus asuvale nupule PDF.

  • Andres Tvauri
  • Romeo Metsallik

Abstract

The production of the workshop potter Johann Rehn of Tartu (ca 1684–1708)

Продукция тартуской гончарной мастерской Йоханна Рена (около 1684–1708 гг.)

In the cultural layer of Estonian medieval and post-medieval towns, castles and villages, potsherds form the most numerous category of finds. Among the archaeological pottery of the 16th to 18th-century towns, redwares with tin glaze form the largest share. Redware vessels with tin glaze were produced in the whole Baltic Sea region. This fact makes it difficult to determine the place of their production, as tablewares from other region, often by no means different from local products, were imported to Livonia. The problem, how to date redware products from the 16th to 18th century more precisely, and how to distinguish imports from local production, has troubled the investigators for decades. The best way for determining the origin of pottery products is to find out a site of pottery production, and investigate production remains found from that site.
In Tartu, at the eastern side of Magasini Street, in the territory of the current Orthodox church of Dormition of the Theotokos (Uspenski), a potter Johann Rehn worked during the period between 1684 and 1708. In the summer of 1909, Richard Otto organized excavations here. The walls of workshop were unearthed, from inside of which, a surplus of potter’s clay and a lot of potsherds were collected. The most remarkable find, however, was a mould, used for the production of stove tiles with the depiction of a horseman (Fig. 2). On the back side of the mould, made of red clay, there exists the following text: JOHAN REHN anno 1684 FR BN d. 3. Majus.
The first archaeological investigations in the area of the potter’s workshop after 1909 were conducted in 1993, when Romeo Metsallik directed archaeological supervision on the installation of a cable. The trench for the cable ran east of Magasini Street, parallel to the facade of the priest’s house of the Church (Magasini Street 1), 7 metres south of it (Fig. 4). East of the line of the bordering fence of the church on the side of Magasini Street, in a 2-metre area, the trench crossed a layer of potsherds. 477 sherds of ceramic vessels were collected. 425, or the bulk of it, originate from redware vessels. In addition to these, 12 fragments of vessel lids, 19 fragments of pot-like stove tiles and 14 of plate tiles were collected. One redware mould for a stove tile, two fragments of a ceramic colander, two of roof tiles and a few unidentifiable ceramic fragments can be added. Only a part of ceramic fragments were collected during the excavations, as the deposit of potsherds continued on both sides of the trench, as well as underneath it. The find definitely belongs to ceramic waste formed during firing. Many overheated or even clinkered fragments prove it. There appear a lot of glaze faults on the sherds, e.g. the glaze has burnt black, or has bubbled. The vessels, the glaze of which has spilled over onto the break, have been broken in the kiln. There exist also fragments, the glaze of which has broken apart, as there have been ill-suited additions in the ceramic test. These fragments lack traces of usage. The fact that the vessels have been broken definitely in the kiln is further supported by the fact that of the 97 tripod pot feet found, 88 have separated from the vessel body at the joint. In the case of tripod pots broken during usage, the foot usually stays with a part of the vessel’s wall. On top of that, the whole complex is extremely uniform both in its appearance, and the way of its production.
On the basis of two moulds, used for shaping stove tiles, and a lot of production debris, an overview can be obtained of the production of his workshop. The products of the workshop include redware pots with tin glaze, tripod pots and pans with a spout, lids, platters and bowls with multicolour slip and tin glaze, clay colanders, pot-like stove tiles and plate tiles with brown glaze.
The products of the workshop of Johann Rehn followed, in general terms, rather accurately the fashion of the period. Only the moulds depicting a rider and a fish have so far not been matched with representative finished products.
The production of the workshop under consideration represents the last stage of the tradition of producing redware vessels, which had started in Germany and the Netherlands already during the 13th century, and had spread to Livonia during the 15th century at the latest. It is likely that the tripod pots, produced in the workshop of Johann Rehn until 1708, are the latest tripod pots produced in Tartu.
The location of the workshop of Johann Rehn – in a remote place next to the town wall – is rather typical to potters’ workshops. Air pollution that inevitably forms during firing, the fire hazard caused by firing at high temperatures, as well as the considerably low social position of the potters can all be seen as reasons for such a situation.
The fact that production remains of the workshop of Johann Rehn have spread over considerably large areas – up to 300 metres from the place of production –, is rather unusual. The possibility that the potter could lay down his waste to neighbouring and even further parcels is highly unlikely. It seems plausible that production remains spread after the year 1708. In that year, the citizens of Tartu (including Johann Rehn) were deported to Russia, and the town of Tartu was systematically destroyed. After the Northern War, in 1753, the Russian Orthodox Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos was accomplished at the place of the former Dominican monastery. In all probability, the construction debris and soil, originating from the destruction of the ruins of the monastery, and the digging of the foundation pit for the new church was transported to various parts of the town as fill.

 Резюме  Андрес Тваури, Ромео Метсаллик
Большую часть эстонской городской археологической керамики средневековья и новой эры составляет покрытая свинцовой глазурью красноглиняная керамика, которую изготовляли на территории всей Прибалтики. Определить их происхождение сложно, ибо на территории Ливонии распространялась и привозная посуда, которая часто не отличалась от продукции местных мастеров. Вопрос, на основе чего определить, к какому времени отнести такую керамику и как отделить импортную керамику от местной, стоит перед исследователями уже десятки лет.
В Тарту, с восточной стороны ул. Магазини, на территории современной Успенской православной церкви, в период между 1684–1708 гг. работала гончарная мастерская Йоханна Рена. Археолог-любитель Рихард Отто провел раскопки на территории Тартуской Успенской православной церкви в 1909 году. Были обнаружены стены сооружений гончарной мастерской, где были найдены запасы глины и большое количество кусков керамической посуды. Самой примечательной находкой была форма для изготовления кафельных плит с изображением всадника (рис. 2), на тыльной стороне которой была надпись: Johann Rehn anno 1684 FR BN d. Majus.
Первые (после 1909 г.) археологические исследования на территории гончарной мастерской Йоханна Рена были проведены в 1993 году, когда под руководством Ромео Метсаллика был осуществлен археологический надзор землекопных работ по проведению кабеля перед домом священника Успенской церкви. Кабельная трасса проходила восточнее ул. Магазини, в одном направлении с фасадом дома священника (ул. Магазини 1), в 7 м. от дома с южной стороны (рис. 4). Раскоп, сделанный восточнее границы территории Успенской церкви, на расстоянии около 2 м проходил через слой керамических черепков. Было собрано всего 477 черепков керамической продукции, 425 из них относятся к красноглиняной посуде. Кроме того, было найдено черепков 12-ти крышек, 19-ти горшков и 14-ти кафельных плит, а также 1 форма для изготовления кафельной плитки, 2 куска глиняного решета и 2 куска черепицы. Названные образцы являются лишь частью археологической находки, т.к. куски керамики находились также за пределами и ниже слоя раскопа. Находки представляют собой бракованную продукцию, полученную при обжиге керамики. Об этом свидетельствуют обгоревшие или даже расплавленные черепки. На черепках обнаруживается много дефектов глазури, например, почернение глазури или воздушные пузыри. Посуда с глазурью, растекшейся к трещине, свидетельствует о том, что она разбилась при обжиге в печи. Имеются также черепки с глазурью, местами отошедшей от стенки, что происходит в результате использования неподходящих добавок. В дополнение ко всему, вся находка одинакова по внешнему виду и способу изготовления.
Две формы для изготовления кафельной плитки и большое количество керамического производственного брака дают возможность получить представление о продукции гончарной мастерской Йоханна Рена. В мастерской изготавливали из красноглиняные горшки, грапены (горшки на трех ножках) с бугорком-рукояткой и сковородки, покрытые свинцовой глазурью; лотки и чашки, разукрашенные полихромным ангобом и свинцовой глазурью; крышки, керамические горшки, решета и коричневые кафельные плитки. Большая часть продукции мастерской представляют собой образцы последней стадии традиции изготовления красноглиняной керамической посуды, начавшейся в Германии и Голландии в 13 в. и распространившейся не позднее 15 в. на территории Ливонии. Вероятно, грапены, изготовленные до 1708 г. в мастерской Йоханна Рена, являются последней подобной продукцией в Тарту.
Расположение мастерской Йоханна Рена в отдаленном месте рядом с городской стеной является типичной для гончарных мастерских того времени. Причиной такого местоположения были как загрязнение воздуха и огнеопасность, возникающие при обжиге керамики, так и относительно низкая социальная позиция гончаров.
Интересно, что бракованная продукция мастерской Йоханна Рена в культурном слое Тарту распространена на большой площади – до 300 м. от места изготовления. Вряд ли гончар развозил свой хлам на соседние или удаленные территории. Остатки продукции распространились, вероятно, после 1708 г. В то время многих горожан-немцев выслали в Россию, город систематически уничтожался. После Северной войны, в 1753 году на месте бывшего доминиканского монастыря была построена Успенская православная церковь. Вероятно, строительный мусор, возникший при разрушении монастыря и при копании углублений для фундамента церкви, был развезен в разные стороны, в т.ч. за пределы территории, огражденной в средневековье городской стеной.

Published
2017-11-26